Are you looking to install a new roof on your home? While the standard choice for residential roofs is asphalt shingles, there are many other great choices on the market for homeowners. If you’re in the market for a new home or considering a roof replacement for your current one, consider an alternative such as metal or cedar shake. Here are some of the core benefits.
Metal Roofs: Modern, Stylish, and Unique
Don't think "tin can" when you think of metal roofs. Modern metal roofs are elegant, attractive, and sound-dampening. They're fast to install, durable, and can last up to 70 years. Many homeowners today invest in metal roofs when they want to significantly improve their property value.
Modern metal roofs are available in a number of styles, colors, and patterns — you can request samples to see which would be most attractive on your home. They're energy-efficient and low maintenance. In recent years, they've also become much more affordable. While previously they were many times the cost of asphalt roofs, the cost is starting to equalize.
Because metal is such an easy to work with material, metal roofs can also duplicate the appearance of other styles of roof. A metal roof can be formed to look like a ceramic one or a shake one. So, if you have a specific look you want, you don't have to sacrifice it.
- Metal is the most low-maintenance roofing option available today, with barely any maintenance required over the decades.
- A well-installed metal roof can last well into 50 to 70 years, which makes it an investment in a home's future.
- Because metal roofs last such a long time, they're considered environmentally-friendly, and their materials can be recycled.
- Metal roofs resist shrinking, cracking, and fading, and can be designed to reduce corrosion and rust problems.
- Metal roofs can be designed to look like other types of roofing, or can have their own unique styles.
Cedar Shake Roofs: Rustic, Low Maintenance, and Durable
Cedar shake roofs may not have the universal appeal of metal roofs, but they're the perfect choice for a classic rustic look. Cedar shakes are made by splitting cedar. They provide a rough-hewn look that is absolutely perfect for those who want a cozy aesthetic for their home.
But that's not all. There are a number of benefits that you might not expect. First, cedar shake is naturally resistant to bacterial and fungal growth, which means that it rarely needs maintenance. It can be fire-resistant, and it's durable. While it does have its unique look, there are also stains and textures that can be applied.
Cedar is also a natural insulator and can improve a home's ability to heat and cool itself. It's environmentally-friendly and sustainable, making it ideal for homeowners interested in improving the eco-friendliness of their property.
- Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties mean that the roof rarely needs to be maintained, and will be durable and weather well over time.
- Cedar will naturally weather to an attractive silver-gray, ensuring that shingles match even if some need to be replaced over time.
- When properly treated, cedar can be fire-resistant, and consequently improve the safety of a home.
- As a natural insulator and a thick material, cedar can improve the heating and cooling of a property.
- Cedar is both environmentally-friendly and sustainable, making it an ecologically viable choice.
Finding the Right Roof With Exterior Medics
If you're thinking about roof replacement, don't assume that you have to go with traditional asphalt. While an asphalt roof is great, there are many options that last longer, are more durable, and have better energy-efficiency.
With plenty of roofing options, you can make a grand statement with the exterior of your home. Browse through various styles to discover the right choice for you.